Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Reflecting on the Daily Kos

The health care debate is currently one of the biggest issues being knocked around the Daily Kos website and it would be hard for a regular of the site to not understand the top post item. From Mcjoan at least, a recurring angle I've seen from her posts on health care usually addresses the angle of the importance for democrats to be unified on the issue and to squash the opt-in or anti-choice debate. It's an angle that never fails to get the comments section fired up and at the time of this blog post, managed to gather 56 comments in less than half an hour. For the most part, the post served mostly as a reinforcing tool to tell conservative democrats to squash the debate.

As somebody who happened upon the site because I was interested in the topic, if I agreed with the views the topic presented, I could see myself deciding to become a regular on the site, especially if I saw the comments section and read the posts there to help reinforce my beliefs. Even though the post was very thin on content, the message of the post was clear. A person who is interested in the site and its views would enjoy these kinds of posts. As Mcjoan said on the subject in her post, "It seems like everyone heard what they wanted to hear on this one."

But if I were a first-time visitor who just happened on the website and looked at the first item, the thin content would turn me off. If I wasn't someone who was strongly decided on the issue and agreed with Mcjoan's views, I wouldn't see myself coming back because of the lack of context and information the top posting provided. Anybody can see the message that's trying to be delivered by the post and the only first-time visitors I can imagine who would come back to this site would be the visitors who strongly identify with the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment