Monday, October 26, 2009

Andrew Sullivan- Assessment Still Works

Massing points out that Sullivan and a fellow blogger helped make popular “short, sharp, conversational bursts of commentary and opinion built around links to articles, columns, documents, and other blogs.” This format is very present today at The Daily Dish, and is something that I don’t see changing very soon.

When looking at The Daily Dish for the first time, I was trying to figure out exactly where thoig guy was coming from, because he seems all over the lot with his blog. Massing’s assessment gives it a description, that when I think about it, makes all the sense in the world when I read “The Daily Dish” now. Massing describes it as his “Idiosyncratic gay-Catholic-Thatcherite-turned-libertarian-radical mind”.

This description does work for the man and his postings. Massing continues to say that this view of Mr. Sullivan’s makes for an “Original take on the world”, and I would agree whole heartedly on this. I don’t agree with some of the things said on the blog, but I must say that it does make for interesting content to both read and to think about.

It was interesting to me that Massing pointed out that Mr. Sullivan slams the journalism done by others “While doing no conventional reporting of his own.” I looked at that myself in the beginning, talking about how he really used more of his opinion more then anything especially his own reporting. I didn’t really see that as much of a problem, and it appears that massing doesn’t either.

My original view of the Daily Dish is the same, for the most part, now as it was then when I first went to the blog. The only change in my view, would be that the view is a little more informed compared to when I was looking at The Daily Dish with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment