Jon Ortiz is still at it with The State Worker. Averaging about three posts per day, Ortiz and The State Worker always make me ask myself why I don't visit this site more. Many of the topics interest and even benefit me, and with my recent stop I did exactly what I did the last time - thoroughly investigate the posts that are written.
Content and display still remain the same on the site - as it should. Recent posts are still easy to find on the right-hand side of the page, and the headline for the most-recent new story is still visible initial page load screen. Comparing the site now with the critiques I made in assignment one, I see the same format being used. This format works and is easy to get familiar with. I think it is important and useful that Jon Ortiz's picture and contact info is available on every page so that if something catches your eye and you want to respond to the author directly, you can send Ortiz an e-mail.
I think this blog works because it puts out brief, yet informative news pieces, followed by a hearty follow-up or in-depth piece every three or four posts. Ortiz does a nice job of separating bulky stories and sprinkling in quicker reads that still contain relevancy with the audience. Investigation stories that are put in the Sacramento Bee are also detailed on The State Worker - check out Ortiz's latest update on $5.5 Million dollar vehicle purchase made by the state. Not only does it give readers the news, it also gives the readers a chance to read the actual document, e-mail, or press release that they are referring to so that readers can get a full taste of what's being discussed, if they should feel inclined to do so.
Content-wise, Jon Ortiz and The State Worker still succeed in delivering relevant stories in timely, readable fashion. On the one hand, I would like to see more photos and video pieces on a blog, but on the other hand, I think the lack of these two aspects lets the depth and quality of good old fashioned reporting shine through. The State Worker, I choose you.
Monday, October 26, 2009
The State Worker - Checking in via Assignment 4
Labels:
doble frijol,
Jon Ortiz,
Journalism 193,
Sac State,
The State Worker,
Vince Vicari
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment